For parents who want their children to learn foreign languages, the following are some tips on how to support your child:
- Inform yourself by becoming knowledgeable about the language program
- Be supportive at all times since your child’s success in the language program will be affected by your attitude.
- Keep up with the basic sentence structures and vocabulary your child is learning; when possible, try to reuse them in daily life. Your interest will enhance theirs.
- Encourage your child to speak the foreign language at home, but do not force it him or her to do so.
- Encourage your child to listen to radio programs and watch television programs in the foreign language.
- Try to take advantage of situations that will help increase your child’s exposure to the foreign language and its culture.
- Try to attend cultural events with your child.
- Be proud of your child’s achievement by showing how pleased you are with his or her progress.